In today’s time, enterprises require an agile platform for the fast development of applications with prime assurance to service quality as well as compliance to architecture and also design standards. There are two major things that influence one’s ability to be agile - the attitude of everyone involved and the languages, framework, and tools used to get the work done. Groovy and Grails development services is one such framework that has emerged in recent years and supports an agile approach to development.
Groovy, which is a dynamic language, works on top of the Java Virtual Machine. Developed by James Strachan and Bob McWhirter in 2003, Groovy is a language that is quite similar to various other languages such as Smalltalk, Perl, Ruby and Python.
Grails, on the other hand, is an open-source web application framework that works on top of the Groovy. It exercises convention - over - configuration and honors the DRY (Don’t Repeat Yourself) principle. It is overall lightweight which makes it a sound agile framework.
Groovy is a dynamic and object-based programming language for the Java platform. It has features similar to those of Ruby, Perl, Smalltalk, and Python and can be used as a scripting language for the Java Platform. Dynamically, Groovy is compiled to JVM (Java Virtual Machine) byte code and also interoperates with other Java code and libraries.
Some Of The Features Of Groovy
1. It is a dynamic and agile language for the JVM (Java Virtual Machine).
2. It builds upon the strengths of Java, however it has other powerful features that are inspired by languages such as Smalltalk, Ruby and Python.
3. It makes the latest programming features available to Java developers with nearly zero learning curve.
4. It supports Domain-Specific Languages as well as other compact syntax so that your code becomes easy to read and also maintain.
5. It makes writing shells and creating scripts easy with its robust processing primitives, OO abilities and an Ant DSL.
6. It improves the productivity of developers by reducing scaffolding code when building GUI, web, database or console applications.
7. It supports unit testing and mock out-of-the-box and thus simplifies testing.
8. It smoothly integrates with all existing Java classes as well as libraries.
9. It compiles straight to Java byte code so that one can use it anywhere they can use Java
Groovy makes use of a Java-like syntax which is compiled dynamically to Java byte code. Thus, Groovy can smoothly work together with Java code and libraries. Groovy with Java makes Groovy very robust. When an application requires functionality that cannot be achieved with the existing Groovy libraries, then the developer can still write Java code to get the work done and vice versa Java code can also be converted to Groovy.
Groovy acts as a super version of Java and can leverage the enterprise capabilities of Java. Although, it also has amazing productivity features such as action, builders and dynamic typing.
Hope this reading provided you with enough understanding about Groovy & Grails. If you are looking to hire Groovy Grails developers for your project requirements, then send us an email. Our team will reach out to you very shortly.
Hey, this is Puneet Singh Raghav. An Experienced Digital Marketing Analyst (Sr. Executive) with a demonstrated history of working in the information technology and services industry. Skilled in Search Engine Optimization (SEO), Landing Page Optimization, Website Analysis, Competitor Analysis, Google Analytics & Reporting.